IEE, Environmental Monitoring and Mitigation Plans, & PERSUAPs, Seed Approval, and Fertilizer Approval
USAID has specific requirements for Pesticide Evaluation Report and Safer Use Action Plan (PERSUAP) and Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP). Here, you'll find the forms to be completed for PERSUAP and EMMP. For assistance contact Archie Jarman (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Our IEE currently addresses:
- Laboratory analyses that may use hazardous or controlled chemicals. Chemicals will be disposed of properly, otherwise they could find their way into wastewater and contaminate the local water supply. Analyses may require shipping germplasm from one country to another. If proper biological protocols are not followed, there is a risk of exporting a disease or pest along with the samples.
- The use of already existing research plots in use for trials, generally less than 4 ha in size and without use of agricultural chemicals. Utilization of pesticides and fertilizers introduces moderate human and environmental health risks if chemicals are improperly stored.
- Desk top research/office work
For determining pesticides/herbicides approved for use:
The program's IEE will include a list of approved pesticides and herbicides for use. It is highly recommended to use pesticides and herbicides already approved in the IEE. Currently, as of June 16th, we are building the list of approved pesticides and herbicides and this will be shared with PIs and Regional Hub Managers after finalization.
Steps to for approval process for pesticides and herbicides not approved in the IEE- please download and use this template (Template Link) for providing information below. For initial list of approved pesticides and herbicides, please complete this template by July 10th:
- Find in this folder PERSUAPS for your country(ies) of research: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1W7omRCR-i6g98TzMLP2LHaSe1kgxS68f?usp=sharing
- Search within the PERSUAPS for the active ingredients AND crops that are approved in that PERSUAP that apply for your research plan/proposal. These are typically listed in a Table inside the PERSUAP.
- If there is no EPA registration number listed, please search by active ingredient to find an EPA registration number: https://www.npirs.org/ppis/ and add to the template.
Please submit completed templates by to Archie Jarman at email@example.com for review and to initiate the approval process with USAID.
- 22 CFR 216 AGENCY ENVIRONMENTAL PROCEDURES: https://www.usaid.gov/our_work/environment/compliance/22cfr216
- Climate Risk Management for USAID Projects and Activities: https://www.usaid.gov/ads/policy/200/201mal
- Regional and Country Risk Profiles for CRM: https://www.climatelinks.org/climate-risk-management/regional-country-risk-profiles
- Climate Risk Management Tools and Resources: https://www.climatelinks.org/climate-risk-management-resources-and-training
- USAID SECTOR ENVIRONMENTAL GUIDELINES & RESOURCES: https://www.usaid.gov/environmental-procedures/sectoral-environmental-social-best-practices/sector-environmental-guidelines-resources
Seed Use Pre-Approval
Prior to using seeds in your projects, pre-approval from USAID is required. To receive clearance, please fill out Restricted Goods Form and entries will be sent USAID AOR for approval. PIs will be notified when approval is received.:
- Documentation affirming that the seed is, if applicable, officially released or otherwise approved by the government of the country in which they are procured and in which they are intended for use.
- Seed Certification Label officially recognized by the country where the seed was grown or a Seed Grower's Declaration of Quality. The Declaration of Quality is based on testing by a recognized seed laboratory, and includes as much of the following information as applicable/possible:
- - Crop and variety;
- - Where the seed was grown (country);
- - Seed lot number;
- - Incidence of weed seeds;
- - Percentage of inert matter;
- - Germination and hard seed;
- - Names and rates of noxious weed-seed occurrence;
- - Month/year in which purity and germination tests were completed;
- - If seed was treated, chemicals with which treated and cautionary statement;
- - Where, and by whom the seed was tested, i.e., laboratory, etc.
- Amount of seed needed
Fertilizer Use Pre-Approval
For Fertilizer approval, please fill out Restricted Goods Form and entries will be sent USAID AOR for approval. PIs will be notified when approval is received.This information will be passed to the AOR for approval. (Note - ammonium nitrate and calcium ammonium are generally not allowed):
- Product name and country of origin
- Intended use (including country)
- Confirmation it is listed as eligible in https://www.usaid.gov/about-us/agency-policy/series-300/references-chapter/312mad